Installation Instructions for Rear Wiper Controller
- Rear Wiper Controller Unit
- Wire Harness with 5-pin connector
- 5 splice connectors: three blue, two red
- 3 three-way tap connectors: one blue, two red
- 6 zip-ties
What You Need
- Phillips screwdriver
- Wire Stripper
- Crimping Tool (for splice connectors)
- Soldering Iron (optional)
- Remove coin drawer by opening it, then pushing up on the stops on either side and pulling
drawer down until it snaps out. Remove the driver-side knee bolster panel by removing the
three screws: one on each side at the bottom, and one inside the coin drawer opening. Pull
the knee bolster panel straight out to overcome the retaining clips at the top of the panel.
- Disconnect the wire harness from the maintenance reminder unit (MRU).
- Splice the WCU harness yellow wire to the MRU harness
yellow wire using a red 3-way tap connector or (optional) a red
- Splice the WCU harness purple wire to the MRU harness
orange wire using a red 3-way tap connector or (optional) a red
- Remove the steering column covers by removing the three screws from underneath the lower
cover. Carefully pull apart the top and bottom covers, which are held together with snaps on
the sides. Pull the tilt steering adjustment lever down to remove the lower steering column
- Remove the smaller, lower connector from the wiper stalk switch unit by pushing the tab
in and sliding the connector back.
- Route the black, red, and green wires from the WCU harness over the metal knee bolster,
along the large black wire harness, to where the harness branches into three parts.
- The main wiring harness to the steering column branches into three parts: one for
the headlight switch and two for the wiper stalk switch unit. Locate the smaller connector
that you removed in step 6 (it should have 5 wires), and cut open the protective sheathing on
its harness from the connector to the main harness (about 2 inches). Be careful not to nick
the wires inside.
- Locate the solid dark green wire coming from this connector, and cut it in
half, leaving enough wire length on each side to crimp a splice connector to.
- Strip the ends of the WCU harness black wire and the
cut green wire coming from the connector. Connect the two using a blue splice connector.
- Strip the ends of the WCU harness red wire and the cut
green wire coming from the harness. Connect the two using a blue splice connector.
- Locate the light green with black stripe wire coming from the wiper switch connector.
Fit a blue 3-way connector over it, and insert the WCU harness's green
wire into the remaining hole. Squeeze the connector closed.
- Use the supplied zip-ties to clamp the splice connectors to the wire harness,
and to cleanly route the WCU harness wires along the large steering column harness.
- Replace the lower steering column cover and its three screws. Replace the upper
steering column cover and snap into place.
- Plug the WCU harness connector into the WCU. Find a suitable place to mount the WCU
using Velcro. A couple of suggestions are 1) on top of the MRU, or 2) on top of the metal knee
- Push the knee bolster panel back into place. Replace the three screws, then replace
the coin drawer.
- Insert the ignition key and turn to the "II" position. Turn the rear wiper switch to the
"ON" position. The rear wiper should immediately make one pass, then wait approximately 3
seconds between each subsequent pass.
- For improved reliability, you may wish to solder the wires instead of using crimp connectors.
- The 3-way tap connectors have proven to be unreliable in many cases. An alternative
to them is to use a wire stripper to split the wire insulation without damaging the
wires, use a sharp tool to split the strands, then thread the second wire's stripped end
through this hole and wrap around. Solder if desired, then cover with electrical tape.